We offer complete personal and business planning, tax & accounting service.
As planning, accounting and tax preparation professionals...
we are dedicated to serving individuals and businesses throughout the Portland metro area with our seasoned and comprehensive array of services, including:
Financial Statement Reports
Alten Sakai & Company offers two types of financial statement reporting:
- Compilation: We arrange your financial data into a readable format, but do not provide an opinion or any other form of assurance on the financial statements. Usually sufficient for small business owners.
- Review: A step above compilation, we provide limited assurance that material changes to the financial statements are not necessary. Financial institutions or other third parties may request that you provide reviewed financial statements.
Alten Sakai can help you set up an accounting system to correctly record the daily transactions of your business. It is important that these systems be set up correctly and maintained with accurate data input. Here are the two systems most commonly used by Alten Sakai clients:
- Creative Solutions: Our in house accounting system and financial statement preparation software. Clients provide us with check registers and other accounting records; we provide the computerized accounting system and report preparation.
- QuickBooks: We provide the necessary assistance for businesses to maintain their own accounting system. We advise our clients based on their needs, ranging from annual closings to everyday accounting questions as they arise. With the software at your fingertips, you have direct access to your detailed accounting data.
Alten Sakai's tax professionals put their thorough knowledge of the complex and ever-changing tax laws to work by helping you with planning to minimize their impact.
Businesses and individuals are responsible for complying with dozens of taxes. Hundreds of tax forms are used to report those taxes. Sound overwhelming? We can make it easier for you. We have intricate knowledge of these taxes and forms, and use advanced software to make the job efficient and accurate.
Here are several of the most common tax filings:
- Individual Income Tax Returns Federal and State
- Business Tax Returns Federal and State
- Estate and Trust Tax Returns Federal and State
- Multi-state income and Sales Tax Returns
- Payroll Tax Returns Federal and State
- Gift Tax Returns
- Personal Property Tax Returns
Payroll and payroll tax reporting are a primary compliance requirement for business owners.
Alten Sakai's accountants and payroll staff understand these issues thoroughly and can help you with the following services:
- Creating payroll, including the calculation of gross wages and deductions
- Calculating federal and state tax deposits
- Preparing quarterly and annual payroll reports, including Forms W-2
- Coordinating with outside service providers
- Applying for federal and state identification numbers
- Consulting regarding your payroll questions, tax and human resource planning, and compliance requirements
An accurate accounting system is essential for business success. Many small business owners choose QuickBooks accounting software by Intuit. With certified QuickBooks ProAdvisors on staff, Alten Sakai can help you set up and maintain your QuickBooks accounting system.
- Setup: First we help you select the appropriate QuickBooks version for your small business. Then we set up your accounting system and train you to use QuickBooks most effectively.
- Periodic review: We help you maintain your accounting system on a monthly, quarterly, or annual basis. We can assist with bank reconciliations, recording of transactions, financial statement preparation, and payroll tax reporting.
Some of QuickBooks’ valuable functions:
- Computerized check writing
- Check register
- Customer invoicing/bill pay
- Accounts receivable and payable journals
- Bank reconciliation
- Payroll processing
- Financial reporting
- Sales tax processing
Retirement plans are the primary savings vehicle for most people. They are also the most powerful and flexible tax planning tool available to you.
Whether your goal is to minimize your taxes, maximize your retirement benefits, lower employee costs or increase employee satisfaction, there is a plan for you. Alten Sakai will introduce you to various plan designs, and help you choose the right plan for your situation.
Estate planning is a chore that many people would rather postpone. We encourage you not to wait. Contact us and we will guide you through the planning process.
We’ll help you address important issues such as the care of your loved ones upon your death or incapacity, assigning your assets to the beneficiaries of your choosing, and minimizing estate taxes. We’ll work with your attorney or offer you referrals to highly qualified professionals. We are familiar with you, your family, and your assets, so consider Alten Sakai a vital element in the development of your estate plan, which may include:
- Gift planning
- Succession planning
- Determining the size and taxability of your estate
- Financial planning
- Charitable giving
Estate administration begins after a family member or friend has passed away. We understand that losing a loved one is an emotional and difficult time, and that settling the affairs of the decedent can be burdensome and confusing. We have the patience and experience to help you through the administration process which can include the following:
- Gathering information to summarize the decedent’s assets and debts
- Preparing the federal estate tax return and the applicable state returns
- Preparing the decedent’s final income tax return
- Preparing the decedent’s estate income tax return
- Determining the distribution of estate assets
- Preparing applications to transfer the decedent’s retirement accounts and collect life insurance benefits
- Post-mortem estate planning
- Assisting in the funding of a testamentary trust
CPA ElderCare Services are designd to help older clients maintain control of their finances by addressing their financial, legal, and health concerns.
Financial Services: Managing finances is a complex job for people of any age, but for older adults it can become particularly difficult. Our job as CPAs is to evaluate and provide financial services. We are able to:
- Offer specialized tax preparation for older clients, including home visits
- Account for financial resources, including bank reconciliations and assistance in executing financial transactions
- Coordinate the payment of bills and write checks
- Prepare payroll and payroll tax returns for household employees
- Assist with trust and estate administration
Legal Concerns: Planning for declining health and cognitive abilities is very important. Too often this is neglected and, in a crisis, a family’s only recourse is to a court of law. To prevent this, we can refer clients to knowledgeable attorneys who can address issues such as:
- Preparing wills
- Assigning powers of attorney
- Creating trusts
Through our work with attorneys, caregivers, financial planners, and insurance agents, we are able to coordinate services and harness the knowledge and experience of various professionals to ensure the needs of older adults are met.